Records office will be closed on 4-14-16 for training.
The Records Office is responsible for retaining a variety of data including incident reports, traffic tickets and accident reports, but most importantly, they maintain all the criminal records for the department.
You can now purchase copies of accident reports online rather than waiting in line at the Sheriffs Office. Just go to https://ecrash.lexisnexis.com and follow the directions.
The Records Office is located in the main lobby of the Macomb County Sheriffs Office, at 43565 Elizabeth Road, Mount Clemens, Michigan 48043.
Business hours for the Records Office (see below for fingerprint hours) are 8:00 a.m. 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays, and 8:00 a.m. 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday. The phone number is (586) 307-9393.
Please note that the Records Office will also be closed on the following days due to Holidays:
- Monday February 15, 2016
- Friday March 25, 2016
- Monday May 30, 2016
- Monday July 4, 2016
- Monday September 5, 2016
- Monday October 10, 2016
- Tuesday November 8, 2016
- Friday November 11, 2016
- Thursday November 24, 2016
- Friday November 25, 2016
- Friday December 23, 2016
- Monday December 26, 2016
- Friday December 30, 2016
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
- Purchase permits are only required for purchases from private parties. They are not required when purchasing from a dealer.
- Handgun Purchase Permit A permit to purchase a handgun is available during normal business hours. Once you have received your purchase permit you have 30 calendar days to return the MSP copy to our department. If you fail to do so you may be subject to a State civil infraction costing up to $250.00.
- If you do not purchase the handgun within the 30 day period the permit must still be returned. The drop box for returning purchase permits is located on the counter of the Records Office (24/7). Only permits issued by the Sheriffs Office will be accepted.
- Concealed Weapon Permit An application packet to carry a concealed weapon may be obtained at the Records Office during normal business hours. Complete instructions are contained inside the packet. Applications can also be obtained on line at the Macomb County Clerk's Office web site https://macombvitals.macombcountymi.gov/ccw.php
- Notary Fee $5.00
- Police Incident / Accident Reports Most police reports are available after seventy-two (72) hours at the Records Office. The fee for receiving an incident/accident report is $5.00.
- Police Clearance You may obtain a copy of a Police clearance during normal business hours. There is a $6.00 charge if you have a record and $0.00 if not. Photo identification is required for a Police clearance check.
- Fingerprints- If you need to be fingerprinted for certain licensing or job related activities, prints can be obtained between the hours of 8:00 a.m. 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 8:00 a.m. 7:00 p.m. Wednesday. Photo identification is required. The fee for fingerprints is $18.00.
- Freedom of Information Requests (FOIA) The Records Office is responsible for receiving and distributing the majority of the Freedom of Information requests for the Sheriffs Office. FOIA requests must be submitted in writing to the Records Office. Fees for FOIA requests are based on labor costs for the review of public records, whether making paper copies, digital copies, transferring digital records through electronic means. Separation and deletion of exempt from nonexempt material will be calculated using the hourly wage of the Department's lowest paid employee capable of conducting the search, location, and examination, whether or not they are available or actually perform the labor. Such labor costs shall be estimated and charged in increments of 15 minutes with all partial increments rounded down. The hourly wage will be based on the Department's payroll records for the applicable fiscal year. Labor costs shall also include up to 50% of the hourly wage to partially cover the cost of fringe benefits, not to exceed the actual cost of fringe benefits. A charge of 10 cents per page for documents and the actual cost of electronic media (e.g., disks and USB drives) may also be charged.
- Proof of Incarceration Can be obtained with photo identification at the Records Office. The fee for a proof of incarceration is $3.00.